Relaxation Day: Ways to Reduce Stress Without Sacrificing Business
National Relaxation Day (August 15) is a time dedicated to unwinding and taking a break from the stress of everyday life. Yet for hardworking small business owners who deserve it most, the holiday may not seem realistic. Running a salon is an ever-demanding job that doesn’t pause when you do. The idea of staying at home, reading a book or going on a picnic may sound far-fetched, if not fantastical.
That said, National Relaxation Day may be most important for small business owners. According to the American Psychological Association, the second and third most common causes of stress are money and work—sound familiar? In fact, according to Daysmart Salon’ recent survey report, money is the number one concern keeping salon and spa owners up at night.
With that, here are some ways for small business owners to take advantage of National Relaxation Day – both for their health and the health of their business.
Salon owners can leverage Relaxation Day as a timely way to promote new and repeat business. Customers need to relax, too, so why shouldn’t they kick back and get some pampering at your salon? To boost foot traffic, you can:
- Offer a promotion. In the days leading up to Relaxation Day, offer a deal for customers who come in on August 15. For example, everyone who visits gets a half-off manicure with their purchase. It seems counterintuitive, but customers will make an effort to relax if it means getting some free or discounted perks.
- Send email blasts. If you’re offering a Relaxation Day promotion, make sure your customers know about it. Share emails with details on the available sale or discount, along with compelling graphics and branding, so when your customers think “relax,” they think of your salon.
- Promote on social media. Use social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to increase awareness of your Relaxation Day festivities. You can even run a social media contest: whoever posts the funniest, most “stressed out” looking photo and tags your salon wins a free blowout on August 15.
- Partner with other businesses. Link up with other local businesses for twice the value. Is there a coffee or smoothie shop located next door? Perhaps customers who buy one of your more decadent services get half-off a refreshing drink afterward to feel extra rejuvenated.
As a salon owner, you are an expert when it comes to your customers’ relaxation—but what does it mean for you? If you can’t take the day off, use Relaxation Day to consider how to reduce stress year-round. There are tools and tactics to eliminate the daily worries that bog us down at work. Here are a few that can give small business owners more peace of mind:
- Online booking. If you are still using physical calendars to organize and keep track of appointments, you are doing yourself a disservice. Implementing online booking not only helps to clear your desk and eliminate pen and paper, but it also makes booking available to customers 24/7. You won’t lose out on business because you weren’t by the phone.
- Text reminders. No-shows are more than frustrating—they’re harmful to your business. Yet finding the time to text appointment reminders to every customer is impractical, if not impossible, for employees. By automating this process, you can always follow up with customers without giving it a second thought.
- Automated Marketing. Marketing is essential to the success of a small business, but it may not be your core expertise. Knowing when to send out marketing promotions and to whom can be a burden. With the right software, you can organize and categorize your database by customer type and history. That way, when you have an applicable promotion, the right customer will be sent an email—ensuring they don’t automatically drag your content to the spam folder.
- Reporting. Payroll and revenue could consume your entire day if you let them—don’t! Business management software lets you pull reports on how much money you’re making, from which products and by which employees. You get the valuable insights into your business without the need for manual calculations.
In the world of small business, treating yourself can mean adopting the tools you need to do your job. Reduce unnecessary stress so you can focus on what you do best: running your salon.
Learn how Daysmart Salon can give you peace of mind by delivering each of these capabilities in an all-in-one business management software here.